Francis Scott Key
|Francis Scott Key|
|Născut||1 august 1779|
Comitatul Carroll, Maryland, Statele Unite
|Decedat||11 ianuarie 1843|
Baltimore, Maryland, Statele Unite
|Înmormântat||Mount Olivet Cemetery[*]|
|Părinți|| John Ross Key[*]|
Ann Phoebe Penn Dagworthy Charlton[*]
|Frați și surori||Anne Arnold Phebe Charlton Key Taney[*]|
|Căsătorit cu||Mary Tayloe Lloyd[*]|
|Copii||Philip Barton Key II[*]|
Elizabeth Phoebe Key[*]
Ann Arnold Key Turner[*]
|Ocupație||Poet, avocat, judecător districtual|
|Alma mater||St. John's College[*]|
|Cunoscut pentru||Scrierea versurilor imnului Uniunii, The Star-Spangled Banner|
|Rude||F. Scott Fitzgerald|
|Premii||Songwriters Hall of Fame[*]|
Francis Scott Key (n. 1 august 1779 – d. 11 ianuarie 1843) a fost avocat, magistrat și poet amator din Georgetown, care a scris versurile imnului național al Statelor Unite, "The Star-Spangled Banner".
Viața și carieraModificare
"The Star-Spangled Banner"Modificare
Monumente și memorialeModificare
- Două poduri sunt denumite în onoarea sa. Primul este Francis Scott Key Bridge construit între Rosslyn din Comitatul Arlington și Georgetown din Washington, D.C.. Scott's Georgetown home, which was demolished in 1947 (as part of construction for the Whitehurst Freeway), was located where the bridge intersects with M St., the location is now the Francis Scott Key park.
- Celălat pod este Francis Scott Key Bridge, parte a Baltimore Beltway, traversând portul din Baltimore, Maryland. Acest pod, Francis Scott Key Bridge, se găsește aproximativ în același loc unde britanicii au ancorat pentru Fort McHenry.
- St. John's College din Anapolis, Maryland, de unde Key a terminat în 1796, are un auditoriu numit în onoarea sa.
- He is buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery in Frederick. His family plot is next to Thomas Johnson, the first governor of Maryland, and friend Barbara Fritchie, who allegedly waved the American flag out of her home in defiance of Stonewall Jackson's march through the city during the Civil War.
- Francis Scott Key Hall at the University of Maryland, College Park is named in his honor. It is on the longest mall of any university in the United States.[necesită citare] The George Washington University also has a residence hall in Key's honor at the corner of 19th and F Streets.
- Francis Scott Key also has a school named after him in Brooklyn, New York. I.S 117 is a junior high school located in the Fort Greene section of Brooklyn on Willoughby Avenue. It houses 6th, 7th, and 8th grade classrooms as well as a District 75 Special Education unit. The Special Education classes include children who are emotionally disturbed. For more information on the school and its programs please visit the schools main site, P369k, located in Downtown Brooklyn.
- A monument to Key was commissioned by San Francisco businessman James Lick, who donated some $60,000 for a sculpture of Key to be raised in Golden Gate Park. The travertine monument was executed by sculptor William W. Story in Rome in 1885-87. The current budget of the city of San Francisco allocates some $140,000 to renovate the Key monument, which the city notes is about to be lost to environmental degradation if repairs are not made. (Restoration of the monument recently began and is slated to be finished by September 2008, according to the city.)[necesită citare]
- The US Navy named a submarine in his honor, the USS Francis Scott Key
- Short biography
- Francis Scott Keys's biographic sketch at Find A Grave
- Francis Scott Key biography at Cyber Hymnal